Magnus Chase: 5 Best Side Characters

I am in the middle of reading the Magnus Chase series for the seventh time, and as I haven't done much book content recently I thought I would do a post on the series. I thought long and hard about what I should speak about before settling for this idea. To be clear, I count the main characters as the protagonists: Magnus, TJ, Mallory, Halfborn, Alex, Jack, Blitz, Hearth and Sam, so I will be ranking the top five characters not in that list. I am ranking them based on how enjoyable they were to read about, how interesting they were.



5: Thor

The God of Thunderclaps in more than one way, Thor is the only one in this list I am still not too sure about. I eventually went for him because he is hugely important in the series and provides comedy relief. He is quite hilarious and, as with many other gods in Rick Riordan's universe, I really enjoy how he seems so... ungodly. 
Other competitors for this role were Mimir, Amir, Ratatosk and Junior, with a special mention to Otis, along with many others, but I eventually decided on Thor as he is more important, more funny, and more Rick Riordan. I must say, I was rather disappointed when I discovered that the main storyline of Magnus Chase ended in only the third book, and Thor comes in as the fifth-best side character. 


4: Annabeth Chase 
Obviously, when you talk about Annabeth Chase you don't generally associate her with being a "side character". She would obviously rank number one if I was regarding her entire character, not just her Magnus Chase appearance. She appears here because of the interesting dynamics of a bunch of co-existing gods, she being the Greek link, and how two cousins can have parents from two different groups of deities. 
Obviously her small cameos are also fun, but she mostly makes it in because of the interesting way Rick Riordan makes it so that so many groups can co-exist so seamlessly. Yet another example of how he is probably the best author alive today.


3: Uncle Randolph 
You know someone is a good fictional character when they can actually inspire emotion in you. When you can feel multiple all at once... wow. I hate him, pity him, fear for him, envy him, the list goes on. I mean its ridiculous. 
Randy takes his rightful place in third on the list. I mean the man's story is a mess. What he does as he tries to get his family back, turning into Loki's abused pet, is just mindbogglingly sad. We have definitely taken a step up, and he definitely could have come higher.


2: Loki 
This man is a mix of everyone else. He is a god like Thor. He's a giant like the next inclusion. He is mistreated and abandoned like Randolph. He is cunning and intelligent like Annabeth. He is the whole package, the big baddie, the sketchy ally. 
I really like him, and I actually think he was quite well done by Marvel and Tom Hiddleston, hence my choice of photograph. Anyway, he would make a top 5 of my favorite Magnus Chase characters even without these Ts and Cs.


1: Utgard-Loki 
Why, you may ask, are you staring at a grumpy kitten rather than a giant. Well, two reasons. One, because the kitten's facial expression perfectly describes how I felt when I found that that there was not a single decent picture of Utgard-Loki and two, because giant can look like whatever they want. Oh, and I guess also because he disguised that elephant as a cat and made Sam and Hearth try to lift it. That was quite funny. 
I really liked Utgard-Loki's character and how you never know which side he is on. He is hugely manipulative and intelligent and, like the other Loki (I'm sure he'd be happy that I am not referring to him as "the other Loki"), would feature in an overall Magnus Chase top 5. He takes top spot.


And there we have it! I hope you all enjoyed and please feel free to subscribe in the comments below. Please check out my e-book, which you can find the link to buy on a previous post, and share my blog with your friends or anyone else who might be interested. Please also check out my Twitter and Instagram, which can also be found on a previous post, and I will see you when next I post. Enjoy your day further! Noah ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Revised History of Ekrizdis, the Evilest Wizard Ever

Real Survivor: The Fox, the Bear, the Goat and the Bunny

Survivor 41 Cast: Most Similar Player - Part 2