Every Premier League Manager: Ranked

Just to clear things up, this list is on current ability in my opinion, so while I will take managerial achievements into account, these achievements will not be a real deciding factor. I think that makes it more interesting, because if we went by achievement alone it will basically be Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho and Ancelotti followed by the oldest to youngest managers. Please feel free to comment your thoughts and opinions below, and I will do my best to answer them, although please understand that I probably won't see your comment if it is not made within 1 or 2 weeks of this post's publication. The order is from worst to best. With that in mind, let's get into it.


20: Paul Heckingbottom

Easiest pick of the bunch. Wilder should never have been sacked, especially when there was no good back-up option. I get that Sheffield United were (and still are) rooted to the bottom of the Premier League, but sacking the only man who could possibly keep you up was never the right option, and now you have no good manager when you go to the Championship. Heckingbottom is, in my opinion, the only manager in the league who is Championship standard.

19: Steve Bruce
I like Steve Bruce, but you have to admit, he deserves the sack. Newcastle are having a horrific season, hovering precariously above the relegation zone, and while I do think they will still be in the Prem next season, Bruce needs to go. I like the man, but he is not up to the job.



18: Sam Allardyce

I like Big Sam, but I think we all know, deep down, that he has lost his edge. It seems that the Baggies will, after all, be going down. It will be sad to see Big Sam finally go down, but it was an impressive career. He even managed England once!

17: Roy Hodgeson 
Two former England managers and neither can make it past seventeenth, although to be honest I don't think Graham Southgate would end up much higher. I am mightily impressed that Hodgeson is still going. Even Sir Alex couldn't make it past 70! But the truth is, modern-day Roy Hodgeson only just makes it out of the relegation zone (in real life and in this list).

16: Mikel Arteta 
A slight jump up in class, it seems harsh to put Arteta in sixteenth, and he could have been anywhere up to 13. I am in the bracket of people who think Arteta should be given at least until midway in next season before a sacking is considered, and I think he will go on to become a great manager or, you know, the next Marco Silva, left to rot after being sacked by a big English club.

15: Scott Parker
Scott Parker is an odd topic, young and inexperienced like Arteta, managing a not-so-good team like Allardyce and yet playing fairly attractive football, like Potter or Bielsa (although not as attractive). I think his late push to overtake Newcastle and stay in the league definitely warrants him a spot in the top 15, and like Arteta, he could have been higher. Parker for England? Ok, maybe not.



14: Graham Potter

Graham Potter is possibly the hardest to place out of everyone, probably because of the mixed feelings us fans generally have about the best Bielsa wannabe. Some would relegate him from the Premier League Managers Division, and others would place him in the top five. I personally think that 14 is about right, but if he can turn attractive football into wins and break into Bielsa's bracket, then maybe Football Hippies won't be his only fans.

13: Dean Smith 
In my opinion the second-best English manager in the Premier League, Dean Smith has taken the one of England's historical greats from the depths of the Championship to a probable top-ten finish. I may not like his talisman, Jack Grealish, but Smith is still easily top 15 material.

12: Nuno Espiríto Santo 
If you'd asked me a year ago, Wolverhampton Club de Portugal's manager would have made my top ten. However, I think Wolves' slight drop in form is, in part, due to Espiríto Santo, and I think I can only generously place him in 12th now.

11: Ralph Hasenhüttl 
Yet again, we come to a manager I really like, and he would probably have sneaked into the top ten if it wasn't for the 9-0 and subsequent drop in form. The best (and only) Austrian manager in the Prem, Hasenhüttl has frequently impressed everyone with his good management work.

10: José Mourinho 
Yes, there are currently 9 better mangers than José Mourinho in the Premier League. Fight me. At his best, Mourinho is a Beast. At his worst he is an arrogant, uninspiring Grinch. Right now he is definitely Grinch. I don't think Mourinho is finished, but he needs to take over either an underachieving or smaller club if he wants to get back on top. So I think maybe Real Madrid or Porto would be his best bet right now.


9: David Moyes
David Moyes is at his best right now, and is somehow challenging for Europe. As ridiculous as it sounds, he is currently higher than José Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti and Marcelo Bielsa in the Premier League Standings. What?!

8: Ole Gunnar Solskær 
Ole went from nearly sacked to second in the league in about a year. While he isn't among the top 5 managers in the league, I am proud to say I only once thought that he deserved the sack, although I generally am not into the regular firing of managers, especially young ones. I think Solskjær will become an established manager for both Manchester United and Norway.

7: Sean Dyche 
Yes, I put Sean Dyche ahead of Mourinho. How he has managed to keep Burnley up every season for the better part of a decade, I do not know. He is like Marcelo Bielsa, the best at his style of football, except that his isn't that pretty. I still think he is brilliant though, and I did, at one point, have him higher.

6: Marcelo Bielsa
If you want to win trophies, you don't choose Marcelo Bielsa. If you want to win by little margins, not go for the spectacular, Bielsa is not your man. However, if you want to have millions of worldwide fans cheering at the top of their lungs at the most invigorating and exciting football, then you need Marcelo Bielsa. We watch football for joy and passion, and in both categories Bielsa delivers.



5: Carlo Ancelotti

One of the 4 or 5 most successful managers in the modern game, Ancelotti is aiming to make Everton a club competing year in, year out for Europe, and his signings have all been brilliant. However, I think that he still needs to get a bit more out of the star-studded team if he wants to get back into the "best manager in the world" conversation.

4: Pep Guardiola 
This, I'm sure, will not be taken kindly, but I will not back down. Yes, he wins, but he can only take the richest and biggest clubs and keep them going. Barca B, Barca, Bayern and Manchester City. He only keeps giants giants. Klopp had Mainz, Ancelotti had A.C. Reggiana 1919 and Parma, Mourinho had Benfica and Uniao de Leiria. Pep has always had the best because the path from famous footballer to manager is easier than coming from the lower leagues or breaking through long ago. I will try and post about other problems I have with Pep Guardiola, but I hope you see my frustrations of him being placed among the best. So yeah, 4 for Pep.

3: Thomas Tuchel 
Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has already made huge ripples in the footballing world before he got about 15 straight clean sheets right away at Chelsea. A brilliant tactical mind, I think Tuchel will go on to be one of the best in the world and isn't, like Frank Lampard, obliged to play the big new arrivals. He is also simply a better manager.

2: Brendan Rodgers 
One of the most underrated managers in world football, Brendan Rodgers is working wonders at Leicester, not letting them tumble after the high of winning the league. Despite a comparatively low budget, Rodgers consistently keeps Leicester in Europe and challenging for the League.

 1: Jürgen Klopp 
No big shock at number 1, Jürgen Klopp wins the league. Attractive and dominant football is produced by this spectacular German, and all with a big smile and fatherly nature. While Liverpool are going through a bad patch of form, keeping them in the European places despite losing the best three of the 5 first team center-backs and a not-too-extensive budget is no simple feat.

Another list done and dusted, I hope you enjoy this since it is my longest-to-make one yet (took me over 4 hours). Please comment your thoughts below, subscribe to my blog and share it with all of your friends. As always, I'll see you guys when next I post. Noah (ಥ﹏ಥ)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Revised History of Ekrizdis, the Evilest Wizard Ever

Real Survivor: The Fox, the Bear, the Goat and the Bunny

Survivor 41 Cast: Most Similar Player - Part 2